As with all things, take the info below with a grain of salt. There’s a huge marketing machine out there hyping every food product or exercise device we can’t do without !
New, trendy stuff that’s fun, interesting or worth investigating.
- Green Leaf Stevia is an alkalizing natural sweetener grown right in our backyard. Savona, BC just 30 minutes from Kamloops. I stumbled across this product at the Kamloops Farmers’ Market. I was intrigued by their organic farm and their website. I prefer to bake with Green Stevia. To add it to my tea, you need to make a syrup: 1 Tsp + 1 Cup and pour it in. It’s kind of weird to drink tea with green floaties in it. I confess I use the white Stevia packets when I’m away from home for convenience sake. What kind of bleaching or processing occurs to change the colour of the green leaf to white powder ? Plus what’s all those other ingredients: Dextrose, chemically pure Erythritol, Inulin etc. Check out this interesting article. Food Babe’s recommendation: Buy “whole stevia leaf” instead of rebaudiosidea or stevia extract.
- I’ve switched to natural sugars like Maple Syrup, Coconut Sugar and Honey. I can reduce the amounts needed drastically by adding Green Stevia to all my baking. For example I used 1/4 Tsp Green Stevia and 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar to replace 2 Cups of White Sugar in my UBC Ponderosa Cake. What a great sweetness enhancer !
- Kaizen Natural Whey Protein Powder
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil contains the healthiest substance on earth, Lauric Acid. Read this interesting article about all the great benefits plus all the so-called nutritious oils we shouldn’t ingest. Originally I bought EV Coconut Oil as an alternative to unsalted butter. As I was chatting with a woman at the grocery aisle, she explained how 2 -3 big spoons of Coconut Oil daily got rid of her ailing Dad’s dementia. He no longer needed to be institutionalized for Alzheimers, as the Doctors suggested ! WOW !
- Coconut Sugar: Still high in calories but if processed correctly, retains many nutrients such as Iron, Zinc, Calcium and Potassium, along with some short chain fatty acids, polyphenols and antioxidants as reported by the Authority Nutrition Guy. Also, check out Dr. Oz’ video
On the way out. Be aware of stuff that is no longer considered safe or healthy.
Sweeteners: Selected articles on the CONs of artificial sweeteners.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS): According to nutritionist, Josh Bezoni, HFCS is the #1 worst carb ever. “This dirt cheap, chemically-altered sweetener shuts down leptin, a fat-regulating hormone in your body that is responsible for sending ‘hunger signals’ from your stomach to your brain.” Check your food labels, it’s in everything !
- Agave Nectar: Originally folks thought it was a good thing like a Mexican version of Canadian Maple Syrup but on further investigation, “it’s not traditional, not natural, highly refined, and contains more concentrated fructose than high fructose corn syrup.” Here’s the details.
- Splenda: I stopped using it when I found out Chlorine is used in the process !
- Aspartame is a genetically modified bacteria waste. It converts to formaldehyde in the liver. Yikes, cancer causing…so I unwittingly switched to Splenda.
- Sweet n Low is made of Sodium Cyclamates in Canada. The USA version uses Saccharrin. Both types may cause bladder cancer.